You are not logged in.

The 1st Filipino PC Modding Site

#1 2010-03-26 04:37:04

Papang

Phosphor 2010 Mexico

Just dropping by to wish everyone a belated Happy New 2010 and drop off my worklog of the latest project I have been working on.

Background)  After a modding hiatus (some do get fed up modding after a while, specially under contest pressure), I dropped by a computer tech friend of mine who was sort of experiencing a post seasonal depression the first week of Feb/10. Anyways, he was doing an early spring cleaning and was dumping a bunch of old customer cases and assorted junk in the trash bin.  I of course gave him a hand and when I saw this little case, I just felt that I had to ask him for it.  I killed 2 birds with this stone: got prime material to make a modding tutorial for my fledgling forum and a perfect excuse to enter the New Mod City 1st Anniversary Tourney.  I have been working on this for a while so I will upload as fast as I can to get it up to speed so don't be phased  with the dates. All was done from the 2nd week of Feb/10 to date so it is not ancient history, hehe. I am still working on it and the due date is 16/Apr/10.

I want to say hello to my bros. Sunnyxtremist and Cham_E_Lyon and my fellow forum mates from NMC Acid_Eyez and gabriel_d7 and wish them all well and the best of fortune for this year and the future. I want to give credit to Sunny and Cham_e for getting me going into acrylics, fancy mods and a better sense of modding. My mods now are WAY different from when I met them and I will always look up to them as Senseis and Master modders and mis amigos.

Back to the case,

My tech friend told me that the owner had gotten fed up with changing the psu which is of the mico-Atx variety and that are really hard to find here in Mexico vs Atxs which you can get anywhere.  The hardware was junk by now (Athlon XP) so that too went out. So, as someone said "one guys junk is another guy's treasure". I toted it back home and this is it, after a little cleaning:

DSCI0018.jpg

DSCI0019.jpg

DSCI0022.jpg

DSCI0023.jpg

I placed my recently arrived mini-Itx mobo inside to see what it llooked like and this was it, either the mini-Itx is really small or the case if really big!  The mobo is a Zotac 9300i-e which is a socket 775 and takes DDR2 ram, but the distinguishing factor is that it also includes a pc-express 2.0, 16 bit slot for an external video card. It has all else buit-in: wi-fi, 7.1 sound, lan, etc.

DSCI0024.jpg

DSCI0025.jpg

Of course it was all scratched and dented (the previous owner would hit it with a broomstick when it would lock up, probably from excess heat). It will however be the prime-material for a hot mod, hehe!

Saludos and Cheers

Kick butt both ways: at the office and at home with Papang BizRigs!

papangcunlogoFlagGoodMed.jpg

2010-03-26 04:37:04

dremel
pcModz Bot

Re: Phosphor 2010 Mexico

#2 2010-03-26 05:07:30

Papang

Checking around the net, this happens to be an Actek Kendal and costs around $720mn or $55.38 usd, including a pretty sorry 500w micro-Atx psu.

ACG-617-02_Black.jpg

The highlight of the this case is a strip of acrylic that lit up with a couple of blue leds on each end of it.

DSCI0001.jpg

DSCI0002.jpg

DSCI0003.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

When I got it, one of the leds was knocked off its base and just hanging inside the case, leaving only half of the acrylic strip lit, probably from on of the multiple interventions the case (burnt psus, overheating, etc.).

To begin, I would change the fixed lights in favor of something with movement (I like a lot), be it something secuencial or flashing.

http://www.steren.com.mx/catalogo/image … /K-320.JPG

Analyzing the case front, now I see why it would overheat. The front has no fans at all and the front cover is practically solid with no entrance of fresh air. The only way the case could breath from the front is if the access door to the dvd burner/usb ports were left open, something that most people would not normally do. There is even nothing in the floor (solid plate) so if the door were shut, the only air it could suck was the tiny slit left by the door and the frame, duhhh!!! A clear case of form (looks) over function (breathing). 

To remedy this I will take of the door (one of the plastic pins that held it in place was broken anyways) and turn it into a grill. I was thinking of using a piece of orange phosphorescent acrylic I got not too long ago for around $1.15 usd.

DSCI00012.jpg

DSCI00022.jpg

I think I will lean on a lot of acrylic like Chozen did on his Dragon and who competed in CM and NMC mod contests.

cosmos226.jpg

Why you say? Cause it it is relatively cheap, of high visual impact and you don't need a lot of expensive tools to work it.

Cheers and Saludos

#3 2010-03-26 05:11:07

Papang

When I went with Cesar, my acrylic and similar supplier (he has a sign and publicity business which specializes in acrylics, styrenes, foams, etc.), he surprised me with a "spring cleaning". This forced me to forage through what little he had left which included this:

DSCI00032.jpg

From left to right: translucent red, then another piece of phosphorescent orange (no other colors, damn!), in front of that "opalina" or frosted, next to that smoked, then mirror finish and finally translucent dark blue. Total cost: $120mn ($9.20 usd) a real bargain considering! Now this is what he calls "scrap" and most of it was already charged in previous jobs.

From the piece of I already had of phospho orange, I consulted him what to do in order to make a "grill" and he ended up shredding it into 2cm.X23cm. strips. When he is backed up with work, he is not too patient:

DSCI00042.jpg

The cost of this was $30mn ($2.30usd) and he did it in around 5 min.!  Well lets see what I do with this.  Since I am going to use a lot of phosphorescent acrylic we will call this project "phosphor", short for that long name, heheh.

The rest will be paint, a 200mm led fan (CoolerMaster), a led kit and some other doodads. Hmmm now to see what I am going to do with all that acrylic, hmmm....

Saludos and Cheers

#4 2010-03-26 05:13:26

Papang

Well this is a pain, sanding the edges and then polishing them. First with a grit 80, then a 280 and finally 600. After this a automotive rubbing compound with a rag till it shines.

DSCI00023.jpg

Just to fix 10 slats took me almost 4 hours and my fingers were aching. There has to be an easier way!  When are they going to come with home lazer or water cutters!

DSCI0005.jpg

DSCI00043.jpg

I place a piece of masking tape on each end to cut the desired curve through it. The masking serves as a guide to know how far to cut and does not leave a stain like a Sharpie does. I do not cut through the tape but around it.

The rough shape is cut with a Dremel and the rest is sanding and polishing like above.

DSCI0006.jpg

The first one took me 20 min, but the rest should be easier (I hope).

Saludos and Cheers.

#5 2010-03-26 05:15:06

Papang

Probable tools to use: a band sander and an orbital sander with a bonnet.

DSCI00014.jpg

Working on the grill, I needed separators for the slats.

DSCI00013.jpg

DSCI00024.jpg

DSCI00033.jpg

First I marked/scratched a line with a sharp ice pick for the pieces, then over a dowel (a pencil does the job too) I press down on one edge and it snaps off clean.

Now to round of the ends:
DSCI00044.jpg

DSCI0013.jpg

DSCI0012.jpg

I first place a bunch together and tape them together. All have their making tape markers and at the end is the sample. Using another orbital sander, a Ryobi finsihing sander with grit 120 sandpaper, it took me around 5 min. or less to round of all the ends. Same goes for the other end-much faster!

A desk top I rescued from my brother-in-law's and the space to put it. I still have a window A/C waiting repair sitting there.

DSCI0011.jpg

The desktop measures 60cm.  X 1.5m. and the space to fit it measures 1.45 X 3.1m. In that space too is the water heater, a sink, the cat litter box and a bunch of junk. For the meanwhile, I cleared a space in a corner for my "workbench" and set it on top of a bunch of cat sand containers, the reason it is so low.  I plan to reinforce the top (it is only 2 pine wood boards glued together with no further support) and hinge it to the wall to make it foldable. My new work shop!

Back to the case face plate, I decided to take off the flimsy door since one the plastic hinges was broken anyways. I cut out a piece of smoke acrylic as a "floor" using the door to mark it. Now I have a flat base for another smaller grill the size of the dvd burner that would have gone in the hollow behind the plate. I will also open up for the usb ports and sound plugs.

DSCI00062.jpg

DSCI0008.jpg

DSCI0009.jpg

Time to open my expense and time card:
Man Hours Used:  13 hours
$ Invested: -0-
---------
Acc. Man Hours: 22 hours
Acc. $ Invested: $150mn=$11.53usd

Saludos and Cheers.

#6 2010-03-27 13:32:28

Papang

Finished the large grill so next up is the smaller one to the left:

DSCI00015.jpg

DSCI00034.jpg

The same treatment for the big grill to the right. I glued the spearators with cyanoacrilate, measuring the distances as best as I could. In the first large grill they came out sort of crooked /by mm) but you can't really see it too much, but on the second smaller one, they came out much better. Here they are:

DSCI00052.jpg

I'm, going to take them later on to Cesar, my acrylic and similar things supplier for him to glue with chloroform the two assemblies. But what about the hole for the 3 1/2" bay? I pulled out my stock of bay covers but do you think happened?  The damn hole is not standard, being off by up to 2mm! Damn and double damn! I couldn't shave off anything much from the covers or the open bay so I decided to make another smoked acrylic cover and add another grill (behind it goes de hdd):

DSCI0007.jpg

DSCI00082.jpg

Here's the grill except it will be placed horizonatally due to the small space left:

DSCI00092.jpg

DSCI0010.jpg

DSCI00112.jpg

DSCI00132.jpg

The last pic, with the grill pre-glued to the smoked acrylic cover. Now to take all of them for gluing then I can cut the windows to fit them.

Horas Hombre Usados:  13 horas
$ Invertido: -0-

--------------------

Acumulado Horas Hombre: 25 horas
Acumulado $:  $150.00mn

Saludos y a Moddear!

Man Hours Used: 13 hours
$ Invested: -0 --

--------------------

Hours Accumulated Male: 25 hours
Accumulated $: $ 15

#7 2010-03-27 13:39:06

Papang

DSCI00035.jpg

How the grills will look like once glued in. The are still held in place by rubber bands till they are chloroform glued.

Now the hardest part, adapting an ATX psu to the case. First I mark off the hole con the opposite side from the side panel that goes on and off.

DSCI00045.jpg

DSCI00053.jpg

DSCI00063.jpg

The sheet metal is really thin, about a cal. 26. It got wavy with a saber saw cut which had a fine toothed blade for cutting metal!

How it looks with a cheapo busted psu:

DSCI00093.jpg

DSCI00102.jpg

DSCI00113.jpg

DSCI00133.jpg

I will form an acrylic box, here the victim to get the acrylic, the ex-cover to my Compak II.

DSCI0016.jpg

This is really thick stuff-5mm! Hmm.. lets see how easy it is to bend:

Now to take off the factory paint which was easy enough via a good sanding:

Now to strip paint, by using sandpaper:[/color]

DSCI00182.jpg

Taking it apart for better access, I find that there are only 3 parts to the case which will make it harder to paint, blehh!!

DSCI00016.jpg

Wow I really went overboard! A couple of pics of what I got:

Today buy:

- Flashing LEDs Kit: $ 73.00
- 4 cans of paint 180.00
- 4 LEDs White UB 40.00
- 2 coarse sandpaper 18.00
- 1 switch on-off 13.00
                             Total $ 314.00

Guai, I went overboard! A couple of photos of what bought:

DSCI00017.jpg

DSCI00036.jpg

Now to cut the covers for the grills but as the front cover was black, I decided to prime it to better see my markings.

DSCI00073.jpg

DSCI00083.jpg

While the paint dries, I will cut the steps in the grills so that I can sink them into the front cover a bit.

DSCI00046.jpg

DSCI00064.jpg

Ouch, I am really sleepy, I'll stop here.

Ouch, I'm sleepy, I stopped here a while.

Man Hours Used: 14 hours
$ Invested: $ 314.00mn = $ 24.15 usd
---------------------
Ac. M H: 39 hours
Ac. $ Inv.: $ 464.00mn = $ 35.69usd

Last edited by Papang (2010-03-27 13:40:18)

#8 2010-03-27 13:41:39

Papang

I cut the side where the long grill goes and painted the background black so that it would match the smoked acrylic on the other side.
DSCI00025.jpg

DSCI00037.jpg

With everything cut and the fascia primed, I was about to start painting it but something didn’t look right. I decided to cut a groove in both of the long grills, first with the Dremel and then gave it shape with a 3mm square file.

DSCI00054.jpg

I made a couple of half moons for the grooves and…
DSCI00019.jpg

That should make them more “solid” with reinforcement in the middle, besides matching the small grill on top.
Now to bend the acrylic for the psu “box”. Wow, it was a real pain because of the thickness (5mm) and I even got some bubbles on the acrylic for not moving the heat gun enough, but luck has it that it is not too visible. One of the bends did not come out exactly at 90° but a little passed it (2-5!) which I hope does not affect me.

DSCI00038.jpg

DSCI00065.jpg

I primed the 2 halves to start painting.

DSCI00048.jpg

DSCI00055.jpg

I think I ought to put a window on the top cover, hm…..