You are not logged in.

The 1st Filipino PC Modding Site

#17 2010-04-03 15:54:23

Papang

Re: Phosphor 2010 Mexico

Well some of the guys pointed out to me that the cherub or ball of "fire" was ok for personal reasons but no quite adequate for the anniversary. Hades suggested more sandwhiches so I came out first with this:

DSCI0009-2.jpg

I stopped this as not good enough and started doing another one which tried to ape what I finally ended up buying a local  supermarket called Chedraui and it only cost me $54mn or $4.15usd, pheww! Still within budget.  The problem with the assembly I was trying to make was that the piece was so small, I could not hold it to sand and file. One more to experience.

DSCI0004-2.jpg

It's ok but it can be better, off to mod it! first I carefully removed the double sided tape to be reused:

DSCI0005-2.jpg

Hehe, lucky it is hollow inside and workable from the inside:

DSCI0006-1.jpg

Next up an acrylic sandwich base to be lit.

DSCI0008-2.jpg

I will take a while to work on this so I will get back to you but the idea is: a base lit sandwhich with red or orange leds, one or two flashing leds and repainting to match, do you follow me?

Cheers and Saludos

Kick butt both ways: at the office and at home with Papang BizRigs!

papangcunlogoFlagGoodMed.jpg

2010-04-03 15:54:23

dremel
pcModz Bot

#18 2010-04-03 15:55:58

Papang

Got a little bit done with the new "wi-fi" antenna. I made an acrylic sandwich with the phosphorescent orange and this time, transparent. This time I screwed them together to not affect the phosphorescent glow of the orange acrylic.

DSCI00052-1.jpg

I repainted the chrome finish which looked pretty good but does not match the rest of the case, so I sanded it off. this is a contest after all.

DSCI00033-1.jpg

Here it is pre-assembled with a 5mm orange led. I wanted to use a 3mm led but since I ran out of them, I did my best to adapt this one. It came out more or less well inspite all, hehe.

Placing the antenna on top the case, the orange glows even without light. I got this from placing the transparent layer on the bottom so that light could reach the orange layer and thus give it the appearance that it has a low light.  Another more complicated acrylic with a blinking led is pending but I will post it as soon as it is done.

DSCI00082-1.jpg

DSCI00042-1.jpg

I had a bunch of .2mm styrene left over from the Ovni so I cut a piece off and tacked it to a base.

DSCI00013-1.jpg

I gathered my paints, magazine sheets and other doodads.

DSCI00022-1.jpg

I will review a few more tutorials on Youtube but I found an excellent one-spraycasso here:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsIkUJiSi4[/video]

M H Used : 4 h.
$ Invested: $54mn=$4.15usd (the antenna)

Acc. M H: 190 h.
Acc. $ : $1060mn=$80.98 usd

Saludos and Cheers

#19 2010-04-03 15:57:08

Papang

The final steps:

NMC ART SIDE PANEL:

Today I gathered my ***** and began my spray paint art. Yesterday I pre-painted the styrene with primer to help paint adhesion as it doesn't hold paint well.

DSCI00016-1.jpg

I sat down again for the last time, to view my video tutorials because I realized that there was no point writing down a plan and that its was best to memorize the steps.  I thought about making a video but it would have been over half an hour which even I would have had a hard time seeing, hehe.

The planet done. I used yellow, green, purple and black layed down in stripes first, then a coat of white over all this-NMC colors except for the yellow. With a small, folded over piece of paper, I zig-zagged down the area which would uncover the underlying colors. The truth is that the white would settle down again mixing with the colors on the bottom and turn into something else. I should have let the background colors dry more so that they would not mix so easily with the white or give it a pass with the hairdryer.

DSCI0006-2.jpg

The moon now. I re-cover my planet to protect it, uncover the moon and apply my background colors: light gray and purple with black sprayed over that. This time I use paper to blot some of the paint for texture.

DSCI00072.jpg

I re-cover the moon and lightly spray swaths of blue, yellow, green and purple to make cosmic dust. Taking off the valve of the white spray can, I depress the stem and sputter white over the area-stars. I then remove both caps and....

DSCI00084-1.jpg

I shadowed both with black (cutting off the tops of the caps and spraying black down one side), the setting needed a "sun". Pulling out one of the test badges which was printed on a light colored adhesive paper, I layed down a yellow aurea with a touch of purple for shading (used a small tube from a roll of toilet paper and sprayed purple down a side) and then white "rays" or light swaths(place the can of white upside down on the painting and tap and revolve the can). Placing the badge in the middle of this aureole, it looks like so..

DSCI0010-1.jpg

Cutting off the edges, I stuck it inside of the menu holder on the side of the case, which is now its home, until I improve on it and make something not so noobish.

DSCI0014-1.jpg

Presto and ready! My first spray paint art! Hmmm, the side looks a little over the top and "busy" but this houses my contribution to the "Spray Off". Note that this the only surface where I could add/fit this mod as the other side panel is used by the large fan.

THE ANTENNA)

The last thing added to this is a surface to bounce off light on top. I inserted a piece of orange acrylic for this by first carefully cutting a slit on the flat part of the fin. I then opened the slit using a milling attachment on my rototool. A blinking led with its appropriate resistor, was then hot melted underneath the middle of the acrylic strip. It is switched for when you get a head-ache seeing the flashes, hehe.

DSCI00017-1.jpg

DSCI00023-1.jpg

As can be seen, the current lines run out the back and are exterior, the only way to connect something here. The exposed part will be sleeved with green.

DSCI00054-1.jpg

Pending yet: How to do a decent cable management job with a gigantic 20 to 24 pin adapter and other cables. Damn this case is so bare and with little to hide cables and the smallness of the miniItx mobo doen't help. Hmmm...

DSCI00035-1.jpg

Last but no least, the fan badge printed on translucent tracing paper (papel albanene). With an ink jet printer, you have to use a paper product as plastics do not hold the ink and smear. I covered it with transparent adhesive plastic and used  Pritt, a paper glue in a lip stick like container and shape/form until I find something better. Now light glows behind it-another sought after light effect.

DSCI00093-1.jpg

M H :  8 h.
$ Invested: $33.50mn=$2.58usd for a can of white spray paint
-----------------------------------
Acc. M H:  198 h.
Acc $ Inv.: $1,093.50mn=$83.56usd

Saludos and Cheers

#20 2010-04-03 15:58:18

Papang

The missing link.  As per a suggestion from a member of Hardmodding (Aqui(1)les), one of the sites I posted this worklog and one of my home members, Neo360, I took a a final punch at the inside wiring.  I finally decided on the original grill that cover the side panel now used by the side fan.  As it has a weird shape, and had little probability of using it elsewhere, I took a second look at it.

DSCI00036-1.jpg

Placing it inside, it appears to hide most of the wires.

DSCI00055-1.jpg

DSCI00045-1.jpg

So I flipped it over and put into a "ship bay" to access it from the top. I dressed up the grill putting a piece of clear acrylic and putting Chrome Contac paper over it (reflectance), made another NMC sticker and this is what I ended up with:

DSCI0011-1.jpg

DSCI00024-1.jpg

DSCI0013-1.jpg

The "shield" covers most of the wires and the fan flow is only interrupted by about a third.  Underneath the shield is basically empty space so the components to be cooled are not compromised.  As a matter of fact, temps are the same as indicated by Everest Ult., so looks did not affect performance, good!

So, in sum, it went from this:

DSCI0012-1.jpg

To this:
DSCI00024-1.jpg

Can't be seen but we know it is there and will look decent even open, hehe.

That is all folks!  With this the project is officially finished and I will shortly upload the rest of the requirements as final photos and vid.

M H Used:  3 h.
$ Inv.: -0-
-----------------
Acc. M. H. Used: 200 h.
Acc. $ Inv.: $1,093.50mn=$83.56usd

Cheers and Saludos

#21 2010-04-03 16:01:47

Papang

Final pics semi-studio/kitchen:

DSCI000212_crop.jpg

DSCI000213_crop-1.jpg

DSCI000213_crop.jpg

DSCI000121_crop.jpg

DSCI00119_crop.jpg

DSCI00127_crop.jpg

Cheers and Saludos

#22 2010-04-03 16:02:59

Papang

Outside shots:

DSCI000316_crop.jpg

The obligatory first stop, the stair landing.

DSCI00119_crop-1.jpg

Just outside of the outer gate with a nosy visitor with no tail.

DSCI000416_crop.jpg

Hi from afar!

DSCI00087_crop-1.jpg

DSCI000712_crop.jpg

Hmm, looks like a car, well on top of one now.

DSCI000513_crop.jpg

Finished, time to celebrate !

Cheers and Saludos

#23 2010-04-03 16:04:47

Papang

The video:

th_Phosphor21.jpg

Background music: Baby V.O.X. - "Devotion"

Cheers and Saludos

Last edited by Papang (2010-04-05 06:29:33)

#24 2010-04-05 06:33:42

Papang

The Before and After shots:

DSCI0018.jpg

DSCI000212_crop.jpg

Cheers and Saludos